PERSONAL INFORMATION PROTECTION ACT (PIPA)
Policy Statement: The Personal Information Protection Act shall govern the collection, use and disclosure of personal information in a manner that recognizes the right of individuals to have their personal information protected and the need for the ASBOA to collect, use or disclose personal information for purposes that are reasonable.
The Association further recognizes that care in collecting, using and disclosing personal information is essential to member confidence and goodwill.
Guiding Principles: ASBOA shall ensure protection of personal information and the fair handling of it at all times, throughout the organization and in dealings with third parties by adhering to the following principles:
- Personal information shall be managed appropriately.
- The reason for the collection of personal information shall be communicated to the individual(s) concerned.
- Consent shall be received before collecting, using or disclosing an individual’s personal information.
- Personal information shall not be collected indiscriminately and will be limited to that necessary for the identified purpose.
- Personal information shall not be disclosed except for the purpose for which it was collected, without the affected individual’s consent.
- The association shall ensure that personal information is sufficiently accurate, complete and up-to-date for the purpose(s) for which it is collected.
- Adequate security shall be provided for personal information in our possession/control. Personal information, in any media format, shall be protected against loss or theft.
- ASBOA policies for managing personal information shall be readily available to members, donors, and employees. The name of the individual responsible for compliance with the Act shall be provided upon request.
- Upon written request, ASBOA shall provide an individual with access to his/her personal information, identify the uses to which the information was put and provide the names of any 3rd parties to whom the information was disclosed.
- The association shall respond to complaints and take corrective action.
Approved: October 23, 2003
For Further information please contact the Association Privacy Officer:
Executive Director, ASBOA
1200, 9925 – 109 Street
Edmonton, AB T5K 2J8
Ph: 780-451-7103 Fax: 780-482-5659